As a lover of apple crumble I couldn’t resist trying this. Apple crumble ice cream combines two of my favourite desserts into one container so I think it’s a winner. It’s an ice cream that will definitely appeal to the masses, unlike some of my previous recipes like this one!
One word of warning; be sure to add the crumble in right at the end of the ice cream churning process. If you add it too early, the crumble breaks up too much and the texture isn’t ideal – too many crumbs.
With all ice cream recipes when you toss in add-in ingredients like chocolate, fruit, or in this case apple crumble, it is really important to chill thoroughly in the fridge prior to adding. A slightly warm ad-in will melt some of the ice cream causing a less creamy ice cream that’s a bit icy. So it’s best to make the apple crumble the day before to let it chill overnight.
Recipe for Apple Crumble Ice Cream
5 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups thickened cream
1 cup full cream milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup thickened cream
20 gm butter
1 peeled, diced apple
80g self raising flour
50g brown sugar
70g cashews crushed
50g chopped butter
1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl until pale.
- Heat milk and cream in medium saucepan until simmering then take off heat.
- Pour a cup of heated milk into the yolks all the while whisking as fast as possible.
- Pour yolks back into the saucepan of milk. Continue heating on medium and stirring for about 5 minutes until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour into air-tight container and cool in fridge for at least 2 hours (preferably overnight).
- Combine sugar and water in a frying pan and cook over high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes or until dark golden.
- Add cream and butter and stir until combined. Add apple and stir occasionally until apple is tender.
- Remove from heat and cool in fridge for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and rub together using fingers until combined.
- Spread over an oven tray and bake for 15 minutes until golden.
- Cool completely in the fridge for at least an hour then coarsely crumble into chunks – whatever size you prefer in your ice cream.
The final stage to creating your apple crumble ice cream
Churn the ice cream in an ice cream maker as per manufacturers instructions. As the ice cream is almost hardened, streak in the apple and then crumble. Keep some of the apple and crumble to sprinkle over the top.