Combining vanilla ice cream and apple pie is magical.
I think you’ll really enjoy this apple pie ice cream. The best news is, I’m going to make life easy for you. For this recipe you can buy an apple pie from the supermarket in the frozen section. They’re only a few dollars but they work exceptionally well in ice cream.
Once you buy the apple pie, chop it up and add it to the fridge so that it’s cool when you toss it into the ice cream.
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 an apple pie (chopped into chunks)
- Heat milk, cream and sugar in a saucepan over a med-high heat until simmering. Remove from heat before boiling.
- Whisk yolks in a bowl until pale then slowly pour in 1 cup of the hot milk, all the while whisking.
- Pour the yolks back into the saucepan of milk and whisk until combined then add vanilla essence. Continue heating on medium heat until liquid thickens (about 3 minutes).
- Pour liquid into an airtight container and cool in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Pour the custard base through a strainer and add to ice cream maker. Churn according to manufacturers instructions.
- As the ice cream is almost churned, add apple pie chunks.
- Add ice cream to an airtight container and freeze for at least 3 hours.