Learn how to make bacon ice cream
This mega dessert may seem so wrong to some and yet so right to others. Myself, I’d like to fill a pool with this ice cream and swim in it. The salty and sweet flavour work like a well oiled machine.
The ice cream base is a Philadelphia style base; however if you can make the ice cream the night before eating, I suggest using this vanilla base. As you have almost finished churning your ice cream, toss in dates and glazed bacon then freeze until it’s hard enough for you. Simple!
How to improve your bacon ice cream
- If dates aren’t your thing then you could easily leave these out.
- Make sure the bacon and dates are well chilled. Any warmth will effect the quality of your ice cream.
- Use a good quality vanilla and maple syrup to send your dessert into orbit!
- Top with a healthy dose of maple syrup.
Maple Bacon Ice Cream
- 8 rashers bacon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 1 cup full cream milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup maple syrup chilled
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup dates chopped and chilled
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Place bacon on a lined oven tray and cover with brown sugar.
- Bake bacon for about 15 minutes or until nicely browned. Turn bacon half way through cooking.
- Allow bacon to cool and chop into small pieces. Place in fridge for an hour to cool further.
- Add milk, cream, sugar, maple syrup and vanilla to a large bowl and whisk for about a minute until well combined and sugar has dissolved.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker and follow manufacturers instructions to churn.
- When the ice cream is almost churned, add the chopped bacon and dates and allow to churn for a further minute until combined.
- Place ice cream in an airtight container and freeze for at least 3 hours.
- When serving, it tastes great topped with more maple syrup.