Bananas, they seem to be in the fruit bowl of every household I’ve ever visited. A versatile fruit that can be turned into a surprising number of entrees, mains, and desserts, including ice cream. This is a simple banana ice cream recipe that is likely to be popular with most that you serve it to.
Be sure to use really ripe bananas if you want lots of flavour in your dessert.
How to make banana ice cream without a maker
Follow recipe steps 1-7 below then, instead of adding to an ice cream maker, place in the freezer. After 30 minutes remove from the freezer and beat until smooth. Return back to the freezer and repeat the beating process every 30 minutes. Ideally, you’ll want to beat the ice cream 3 or more times.
Banana Ice Cream Recipe
- 3 ripe bananas chopped roughly
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp softened butter
- 1 cup full cream milk
- 1 1/4 cups thickened cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 4 egg yolks
- Add banana, brown sugar and butter to a skillet and fry on a low-medium heat until cooked through. Remove from the stove top.
- Add milk, cream, and sugar to a saucepan and cook on medium-high heat until simmering. Take off heat.
- Whisk yolks until pale then slowly pour a cup of the hot milk into the yolks. Once combined, whisk back into the saucepan of milk. You now have the makings of a delicious custard base.
- Heat custard base for about 5 minutes on a medium heat until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon. (Don't allow to boil).
- Blitz the custard base with the bananas until well combined.
- Pour into an airtight container and allow to cool in the fridge for at least 3 hours (preferably overnight).
- Churn in an ice cream machine as per manufacturer's instructions.
- Add to an airtight container and freeze for 2 hours or until hardened.