This candy cane ice cream should be your go-to recipe every Christmas. A combination of peppermint ice cream with pieces of candy cane to keep things interesting. There’s less egg yolks in this recipe than most; I reduced them to keep the ice cream a nice white colour which looks better with the canes.
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup full cream milk (whole milk)
- 1 1/2 cups thickened cream (heavy cream)
- 1 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 5 crushed candy canes
- Whisk yolks and sugar until pale, set aside.
- Add milk and cream to a medium saucepan and heat on med-high until simmering. Remove from heat.
- Pour 1 cup of the milk into the egg yolks while whisking as fast as possible until combined. Pour back into the saucepan of milk and continue stirring over a low-medium heat until the liquid thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in the peppermint extract and crushed candy canes. Reserve some of the candy canes to sprinkle on top of the ice cream.
- Add to a bowl and chill in fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker and churn as per manufacturer’s instructions, then scoop into an airtight container and top with leftover peppermint.
- Freeze for 2 hours or until hardened.
If you don’t have an ice cream maker, follow the first 6 steps then add to a container and freeze. Every half hour, remove from the freezer and beat to reduce the size of the ice crystals. Work as fast as possible so that the ice cream doesn’t have time to melt. After beating it 3 times you should be okay to leave your ice cream to set fully.