Unleash your inner goth by making this black ice cream AKA charcoal ice cream.
It’s been popping up in ice cream shops all over Australia (and the U.S.) for some time so here’s how to make your own. This black ice cream recipe is simple and really tasty.
In case you’re wondering, activated charcoal is okay to eat. It’s made from coconut shell thats heated to high temperatures to create a char.
- 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup activated charcoal
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale in colour
- Heat cream and milk in saucepan over a medium-high heat until simmering.
- While whisking as fast as possible, pour 1 cup of heated milk slowly into the egg yolks until combined.
- Pour the yolks back into the saucepan of heated milk. Continue heating until the liquid thickens into a custard base. It should coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove the custard from the heat and whisk in the charcoal and vanilla.
- Pour through a strainer into an airtight container and chill over night or for at least a few hours.
- Add to ice cream machine and churn as per manufacturer’s instructions. Once churning is complete, scoop into a container and freezer until hardened.