Heavenly chocolate ice cream that’s super simple.
Learn the secret to making amazing ice cream without eggs. It’s not that egg-based French-style ice cream tastes bad or anything; sometimes we all just want a dessert that’s a little lighter and this chocolate ice cream recipe doesn’t fail. I used a Philadelphia style ice cream base and added Dutch cocoa as well as dark chocolate.
Keep in mind that egg yolks work very well as stabilisers so you’ll find the freezer life is reduced for this ice cream.
To get more dessert ideas, check out my ice cream recipes page.
Tips to make the ultimate chocolate ice cream
- Avoid cheap brands when choosing your Dutch cocoa and dark chocolate. There aren’t many ingredients in this recipe so poor quality products will have nowhere to hide.
- Add a dash of 40% vodka when you’re churning the ice cream to reduce the freezing point of your base. This allows the dessert to freeze faster and results in creamier ice cream.
- Turn your freezer onto the coldest setting before churning. Once you add the churned ice cream to the freezer it will harden much quicker which also helps with ice cream texture.
Want a chocolate ice cream recipe that’s got fewer calories?
You have a couple of options:
- Reduce or remove completely the chocolate from the recipe. The cocoa will still provide a nice chocolate flavour without the extra calories.
- Make this vegan chocolate ice cream and cut out the dairy as well. Still delicious!
Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 cups thickened cream
- 1 cup full cream milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup Dutch cocoa good quality
- 200 gm dark chocolate broken into small pieces
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add cream, milk, sugar, salt, and cocoa to a saucepan and whisk while heating on medium to high.
- When milk is simmering reduce heat to low and add chocolate. Gently stir until chocolate has melted then remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Pour milk mixture into an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or preferably overnight.
- Freeze ice cream in your machine as per manufacturer's instructions.
- Pour into a container and freeze at least three hours or until hardened.