Caffeine lovers rejoice! This coffee ice cream is for you.
This ice cream is super easy to make and so tasty. I love using a nice full strength coffee bursting with caffeine. It makes for an incredible ice cream that has an added benefit of giving you an energy boost.
Everyone has different opinions on what a good coffee tastes like. The recommended amount of coffee in this ice cream can easily be adjusted to your taste. I used a 1/2 cup but you can reduce to 1/4 cup for a mild flavoured ice cream. Add 3/4 cup of coffee for a “knock your socks off” ice cream dessert.
Warning: Don’t eat this one just before bed if caffeine keeps you awake. I had this ice cream the first time and was lying up for hours!
If you’re more of a beer fan, why not try my beer ice cream recipe that I promise you’ll enjoy.
Coffee Ice Cream
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 1 cup full cream milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup coffee of your choice
- 4 egg yolks
- Add cream, milk, sugar and coffee to a medium saucepan and, stirring frequently, heat until simmering. Don't allow to boil.
- Whisk eggs in a separate bowl until pale in colour.
- Slowly pour 1 cup of the heated milk mixture into the yolks all the while whisking; then pour back into the milk mixture while continuing to whisk.
- Continue heating and stirring the milk mixture on a medium heat until it thickens and can coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes then pour through a strainer. Add to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Preferably overnight.
- Add ice cream base to your ice cream maker and churn following the manufacturer's instructions.
- Once churned, freeze for at least 3 hours until hardened.