This cookies and cream ice cream recipe is a little beauty and one of my favourites. I’m sure it will be popular with readers here too; cookies and cream ice cream is a really popular flavour all over the world. Who can resist the creaminess of the ice cream combined with yummy chunks of Oreo cookies. If you’re looking for a vegan recipe consider this one on the Food Matters website. I’ve made this version as well for a friend and she really liked it.
Other options if you don’t feel like cookies and cream ice cream
If this recipe doesn’t look like you cup of tea, maybe try this recipe for Rum and Raisin Ice Cream. Or is you like biscuits in your ice cream, here is a fantastic recipe for Matcha Ice Cream with Mint Tim Tams.
Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Recipe
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 cups thickened cream
- 1 1/2 cups full cream milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 137 gm Oreo original cookies crumbled
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a small bowl then set aside.
- Heat milk and cream in a large saucepan until simmering then remove from heat.
- Slowly pour a cup of the milk into the yolks while whisking as quickly as possible. Then pour yolks back into the saucepan of milk.
- Continue heating mixture on a medium heat until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon then remove from heat.
- Stir through vanilla then add to an airtight container and chill for at least 3 hours.
- Churn in ice cream machine as per manufacturer's instructions. As ice cream is almost churned, add in Oreo crumble. You don't want to add too early as it will make the ice cream an unpleasant texture.
- Freeze for about 3 hours until hardened.