Garlic ice cream is for those that crave something a little different in their life. This recipe should do the trick.
If you decide to make this ice cream I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. It’s served in high end restaurants so there must be something good about it right? Don’t be too upset though if your guests don’t throw themselves at your new creation. It’s not for everyone.
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 160°C then roast unpeeled garlic in oven.
- Peel garlic and blend until smooth, set aside.
- Whisk the yolks with half the sugar until pale in colour, set aside.
- Heat the milk, cream and remaining sugar in a saucepan on medium to high heat until simmering then remove from heat.
- Slowly pour 1 cup of the hot milk into the yolks, all the while whisking.
- Add yolks back into the saucepan of milk and continue heating on medium heat until it thickens (don’t allow to boil). It should coat the back of a spoon.
- Whisk in the garlic then pour into a container and refrigerate overnight. This will allow the flavour to infuse nicely.
- Strain the ice cream base and then churn as per the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Scoop into a container and freeze for at least 2 hours until firm.