[lead]This is a delicious honey ice cream recipe infused with yummy caramel.[/lead]
Honey and caramel go together beautifully. This ice cream is no exception to the rule. It’s a simple ice cream that will be popular with most that try it. To make a denser, creamier ice cream feel free to add 2-3 more egg yolks. You can find out a bit more about why eggs are used in ice cream on this resource page about eggs. If you enjoy honey desserts then you may also like to try goat cheese ice cream which also has honey as a main ingredient.
Ideas to Further Improve Your Honey Ice Cream
Although I think this ice cream is awesome, here are a few ideas to make your ice cream even better.
- Chill your container before adding the churned ice cream to the freezer. A room temperature container will slightly melt the ice cream and cause some ice crystals.
- Once you add the ice cream to the container, add a layer of glad wrap to the top of the ice cream to reduce ice crystal formation.
- Turn your freezer to the coldest setting; the faster you harden the ice cream, the better.
- Consider adding a liquor, like vodka towards the end of churning as this will reduce the freezing point of the ice cream and will also act as a stabiliser.
A honey ice cream recipe that works with or without a machine
This recipe show you how to make the ice cream in a machine. But if you don’t have one, it’s all good. Follow these steps instead:
- Instead of adding ice cream base to ice cream maker, add it straight to the freezer.
- When the base starts to harden, remove from the freezer and whisk until smooth.
- Place back in the freezer until hardened.
Honey Caramel Ice Cream Recipe
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cups full cream milk
- 2 cups thickened cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Nestle Caramel Top’n’Fill
- 1/3 cup honey
- Whisk yolks and sugar until pale.
- Heat milk and cream in medium saucepan on high heat until simmering then remove from heat.
- Slowly pour a cup of the milk into the yolks while whisking as quickly as possible. Then pour yolks back into the saucepan of milk.
- Continue heating mixture on a medium heat until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon then remove from heat.
- Stir in the honey, vanilla, and caramel until combined then add to an airtight container and chill in the fridge for at least three hours.
- Churn in ice cream machine as per manufacturers instructions then add to an airtight container and freeze for about three hours until hardened.