Discover the simple secret to making heavenly caramel sauce the quick way using a microwave and 4 ingredients.
All these years, I’ve being doing caramel sauce wrong. My two options were to either buy the store bought version or make my own caramel sauce in a saucepan. The store bought option wasn’t cheap for a good brand and was full of unnecessary extra ingredients. The homemade option was usually too much hassle. In the end I’d often chose caramel sauce from the bottle. Not any more.
This caramel sauce recipe is really simple and using a microwave makes it super fast to whip up. The best part is, it tastes like one of those exquisite homemade sauces that everyone raves about. Now you can be a dessert hero and your family or dinner guests don’t even need to know your little secret.
Check out this video on how to make caramel sauce in under 2 minutes.
What this sauce would go well with
- If you have some spare time on your hands and you want to impress, I recommend you try your hand at tempering chocolate. It’s actually not hard, you’ll just need a thermometer and chocolate that’s around 70% cocoa solids. Some shards of tempered chocolate alongside ice cream with caramel sauce would be a match made in heaven.
- Can you picture yourself pouring caramel sauce onto homemade vanilla ice cream? I assure you, it really is something you need to do soon as the flavour combination is one of the best. If you’d like to make your own here’s a quick vanilla ice cream recipe.
What you need to make caramel sauce
This is a flexible recipe. You can dial the quantities up and down easily and get the same yummy result. If you increase or decrease the ingredients, you’ll need to adjust the cook time in the microwave.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp cream
- 4 Tbsp brown sugar
- Salt to taste
Steps to make caramel sauce
- Add butter to a microwave proof bowl and cook for 30 seconds on high.
- Add the cream and brown sugar to the butter and mix until combined.
- Microwave for another 15-30 seconds until it’s bubbling up.
- Stir again until well combined and add salt to taste.
- Allow to cool then serve.
This sauce can be made in advance and then store in the fridge in an airtight container.
This is a delicious sauce which makes the perfect topping for ice cream. You can also add the caramel when you’re churning ice cream to create ribbons of caramel. So good. If you do this make sure the caramel isn’t warm when you add it as this will partially melt your ice cream and make it icy.