When I first had a crack at making sorbet I was amazed at how great the homemade stuff tastes. There’s so much more flavour than the store-bought version! Lemon sorbet is a real crowd-pleaser: I think because the sour lemon combined with the sweet sugar base is the perfect marrying of flavour. So refreshing too!
The best part about sorbet is how easy it is to make. You really can’t get this recipe wrong. Just make sure you cool the mixture thoroughly before churning, preferably overnight. If you don’t, your ice cream machine may not be able to get the job done. The end result will be half frozen sorbet that, when added to your freezer, will freeze like a rock.
Eat this sorbet on its own or add to your favourite spirit for an incredible cocktail.
Lemon Sorbet Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups caster sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp vodka or similar white spirit
- Add sugar, salt and lemon zest to an electric mixer and pulse until combined. Pulsing 10-15 times should do the trick.
- Add sugar mixture to a large bowl and whisk in lemon juice, water and vodka until combined.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for 2-3 hours until cooled then pour into an ice cream maker. Churn as per manufacturer's instructions.
- Scoop into a container and freeze until hard - about 2 hours.