I’ve made matcha tea in a previous recipe and stuffed it full of mint chocolate biscuits. It was really good, but it overpowered the matcha a little. If you’re interested, check out my original matcha ice cream recipe here.
This matcha ice cream recipe is simple and subtle. Sometimes when you have good ingredients, you don’t need to go overboard with extra add-ins. This ice cream recipe lets you enjoy the mildly sweet, vegetal flavour of the matcha.
Making this ice cream requires very few steps but I think you’ll still really love it… if you like matcha that is. It’s important to note that the matcha tea bags you can buy in the supermarket won’t work in this recipe. It needs to be the matcha powder which is sold at Asian grocers and specialty stores.
Plating your matcha ice cream
You’ll notice that I sprinkled a red powder on the top of my ice cream. This is sumac. A popular ingredient in savoury dishes, particularly in the Middle East. When you taste it on its own you’d say it has no place in a sweet dessert. But I think it actually goes really well with matcha ice cream. If you don’t have a shop nearby selling this, chocolate also pairs well with matcha. So douse your ice cream in a chocolate sauce or grate some white chocolate on top.
Would you like to know more about matcha? Check out this page which gives you some more details.
Matcha Ice Cream Recipe
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 20 gm matcha powder
- 1 1/2 cups thickened cream
- 2 cups full cream milk
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl until pale in colour then whisk in matcha powder until well combined. Set aside.
- Heat milk and cream in a large saucepan until simmering then remove from heat.
- Slowly pour a cup of the milk into the yolks while whisking as quickly as possible. Then pour yolks back into saucepan of milk.
- Continue heating mixture on a medium heat until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon then remove from heat.
- Strain ice cream base then pour into an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Churn in ice cream machine as per manufacturer's instructions then add to an airtight container and freeze for about 2 hours until hardened.
- Serve with a sprinkle of sumac or grated white chocolate.