Olive oil ice cream is a popular ingredient in Italy and for good reason. It tastes great in many recipes and also has loads of nutritional benefits. This recipe uses a custard base which creates a creamy ice cream that combines beautifully with the distinct taste of olive oil.
What is the best olive oil for ice cream?
The only flavour in this ice cream is olive oil so it’s important to choose the best quality extra virgin olive oil you can get your hands on.
You know you need to buy quality, but what olive oil is best? It can be confusing because the oil section in supermarkets has a lot of options. You are best selecting a light-bodied oil without any extra taste. Manufacturers sometimes produce their oils with a peppery note. Avoid these as they’ll overwhelm the taste of your ice cream.
I used 1/4 cup in this recipe but you could scale this up or down a little depending on your personal preference. If you add extra oil though this will add to the fat content and you’ll increase the oily mouth-feel of the ice cream.
You’ll also need to avoid table salt as it will taint the flavour of your ice cream. Use a quality kosher salt or fleur de sel for the best results.
If you’d like to take this yummy dessert to the next level you can add balsamic vinegar. Jamie Oliver has a product out called Sticky Fig and Balsamic Drizzle; this is perfect for this ice cream. Do you like to live on the wild side? You might also add a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese; it is surprisingly good.
Olive Oil Ice Cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups full cream milk
- 1/2 cup thickened cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Whisk egg yolks in a small bowl until pale then set aside.
- Heat milk, cream, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan on a medium to high heat until simmering then remove from heat.
- Slowly pour 1 cup of the milk into the egg yolks all the while whisking at a fast pace.
- Whisk the yolks into the saucepan of milk and continue heating on a medium heat until it coats the back of a spoon. This usually takes a few minutes. Do not allow to boil.
- Pour the milk through a fine strainer into a bowl and then mix in the olive oil.
- Add to an airtight container and freeze for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.
- Add to ice cream machine and churn as per manufacturer's instructions.
- Add to an airtight container and freeze for at least 2 hours or until you're happy with the hardness.