Popping candy ice cream is a dessert which I promise will be a hit with the kids. It definitely was with my little girl! You’ll find that when you add the popping candy lots will pop when added to the ice cream. The reason I added it during churning was for a bit of colour. You can also add some extra candy on top when serving for a bit of extra pop.
What ice cream base is best?
I think popping candy would go well with a variety of ice creams, it really comes down to personal preference. I like this vanilla recipe because it tastes amazing and it allows the candy to really stand out.
Popping Candy Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups full cream milk
- 1 1/2 cups thickened cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup popping candy
- Heat milk, cream and sugar in a saucepan over a med-high heat until simmering. Remove from heat before boiling.
- Whisk yolks in a bowl until pale then slowly pour in 1 cup of the hot milk, all the while whisking.
- Pour the yolks back into the saucepan of milk and whisk until combined then add salt and vanilla essence. Continue heating on medium heat until liquid thickens (about 3 minutes).
- Pour liquid into an airtight container and add to fridge overnight.
- The next day, pour the custard base through a strainer and add to ice cream maker. Churn according to manufacturers instructions.
- When ice cream is almost hardened, add popping candy. Once churned, add to an airtight container and freeze for at least 3 hours.