I have been wanting to have a crack at making vegan chocolate ice cream for ages. So this week I finally took the plunge and made some. This recipe was fairly easy to make and for those of you on a vegan diet, I think you’ll really enjoy this one. Personally, I prefer a good old tub of ice cream made from dairy products. Being from NZ, we consumed a lot of milk as kids and I don’t think I could ever give it away. For ice cream, it gives your dessert a more creamy texture that I love. In saying that, this dessert is no slouch; I’d happily eat it.
Alternative ingredients for this Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream
- This ice cream uses brown rice syrup but you could substitute this for sugar or even honey if you wanted. You can substitute the same quantity of sugar in place of the rice syrup.
- I used coconut milk but coconut cream can also be used.
If you’d prefer to make a non-vegan chocolate ice cream then consider this one: world’s creamiest chocolate ice cream recipe.
Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/4 cups full fat coconut milk
- 2/3 cup brown rice syrup
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, add the water, rice syrup, coconut milk, cocoa powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Heat on a medium heat, all the while whisking, until the mixture comes to a boil. Continue to cook for about 2 minutes, ensuring that you continue to keep whisking.
- Remove from the heat and add the chocolate and vanilla. Stir until chocolate is melted.
- Strain mixture into an airtight container and chill for at least 3 hours (preferably overnight).
- Churn in your ice cream maker then scoop into a container and freeze for 2-3 hours until hardened.