Discover the secret to making vegan meringues
A meringue recipe without eggs? What kind of witchcraft is this? Actually, it’s a super simple egg free meringue recipe that uses an ingredient you’d never expect – it’s the humble chickpea. Well, the chickpea water to be exact.
For the meringues
- chickpea water from 1x 400g can.
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornflour
For the coconut cream
- 400ml can coconut cream (chilled)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
For the garnish
- 1 cup of strawberries or your favourite berries
Vegan meringue recipe
- Chill chickpea water for two hours (or overnight if time permits).
- Beat in a stand mixer until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar and corn flour and continue beating until stiff peaks form (beat for about 10 minutes).
- Scoop meringue shaped balls onto an oven tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 70 minutes at 100 degrees (c).
How to make the coconut cream filling
- Pour the chilled coconut cream into the bowl of a stand mixer and start beating on a medium speed.
- Add the vanilla and sugar and increase speed to high. Beat until the cream thickens and has the consistency of normal cream.
- Spoon the cream onto the cooled meringues and serve with strawberries.