Did you know August 21 is National Spumoni Day? That is, unless you’re from Canada. Sorry guys, you have to wait until November 13.
If you’re like most readers, you’ll probably have no idea what this bizarre sounding dessert is. Spumoni certainly doesn’t have the mainstream coverage that gelato, frozen yoghurt and ice cream enjoy. Don’t worry. we’ve got you covered with this guide. Find out everything you need to know including how to make homemade spumoni.
What is Spumoni?
Spumoni is a decadent Italian ice cream that’s layered with different colours and flavours. If you’re lucky, your ice cream may include extras like nuts or cherries. The traditional spumoni flavours are pistachio, cherry and chocolate (sometimes vanilla). To add to the taste factor, cream is often mixed into each layer!
Although this dessert originated from Naples, the layers are not made from gelato as they don’t hold their shape well. Gelato is too soft so ice cream is used. Unlike other ice creams that are scooped, Spumoni is usually sliced like a cake.
What’s to love about this dessert
- it looks amazing on the table with multiple colours
- a fun alternative to birthday cake
- it contains delicious add-ins like nuts
Alternatively, you can use store bought ice cream. Either way, once you have your ice cream, follow the below recipe.
- 3 cups chocolate ice cream
- 3 cups pistachio ice cream
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup Morello cherries
- 1/4 cup almonds, finely chopped
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Remove chocolate ice cream from freezer and allow to soften for 10 minutes.
- Line a loaf pan with cling wrap then add a piece of baking paper with some extra hanging over each side. This will allow you to easily remove the dessert when serving.
- Scoop chocolate ice cream into the pan and pat down to ensure there are no gaps. Smooth the top then freeze for half an hour.
- Remove vanilla ice cream from freezer and allow to soften for 10 minutes.
- Mix the cherries, almonds and essence into the ice cream then scoop onto the chocolate ice cream. Smooth the top then freeze for half an hour.
- Remove the pistachio ice cream from freezer and allow to soften for 10 minutes.
- Spread pistachio ice cream over vanilla ice cream and smooth top.
- Wrap then freeze until hard – around 2 hours.
- Top with pistachios, glazed cherries and melted chocolate.
Spumoni Nutritional Information
|Serving Size||1/2 cup|